The first settlers arrived in 1908, but it wasn't until 1911 that a post office was established with the name of Ogema. Ogema was incorporated as a town in 1912 when it reached a population of over 500 people. Many of the settlers came from Ontario; some came from the United States and some came from the British Isles and other parts of Europe.
The pioneers had selected the name Omega, which is the Greek word for end, since at that time, the settlement was at the "end of the rail line." When making application for registration of the town name, they were told by the authorities that there was another town with that name and that two communities with the same name would not be allowed. The settlers then changed the name Omega to Ogema, which gave the town an original name, yet retained all letters of the original name. The name Ogema is a Cree Indian word meaning "big chief."
The lots for the town of Ogema were sold by the Canadian Pacific Railway, who were then building a branch line through the wilderness of southern Saskatchewan.