In 1915, a fire destroyed many of the buildings on the east side of Main Street. It was decided that fire walls would be constructed on both sides of the street. The wall on the west side was to be 5 1/2 feet underground, 16 inches thick, 30 feet high and 70 feet long. The cost was $1,300. The Fire Wall is a Municipal Heritage Property.